Mold exposure can cause many health related issues including complications with asthma patients, stuffy nose, runny eyes, headaches, chills, fevers and rashes. Any building that is aging or has suffered from any type of water damage can be causing a potential health risk to people who live or work inside the building. There are ways to decrease the chance of toxic mold exposure including have a mold inspection done on the building in question. Mold inspections should be done by a Certified Mold Inspector or industrial hygienist and should include both a visual inspection of the property and an analyzed moisture assessment. Once a moisture assessment has been analyzed and a report provided, the result of a mold inspection should include recommendations for removing any hazardous mold that was found.
There are websites, such as www.moldinspectionslosangeles.com, which can guide renters, homeowners and commercial building owners in what needs to be done regarding mold. Mold spores are commonly found in household dust and dust found in the workplace. Generally, small quantities of mold spores pose no health problems to individual with mild exposure. However, large quantities of mold spore exposure, over a period of time, can lead to serious health issues. Most of the health issues are respiratory in nature, as mold is most comfortable growing in warm, moist areas including the human lungs. Some mold varieties also produce mycotoxins that can lead to neurological damage, and even death, if the exposure is prolonged.
Most molds found in the home, which would require a mold inspection and removal recommendation in order to remediate, are found in damp, or steam filled, dark areas. These areas can include the bathroom, kitchen, storage area, areas with water damage, plumbing spaces, basements and areas indoors with poor ventilation. Molds can also be identified in outdoor areas that are always damp or humid.
One of the most important ways to prevent mold from returning once it has been remediated is to remove the source of moisture that allowed it to grow in the first place. A mold inspection will be able to identify the location and type of mold present, but if there is not a repair effected in the area, the mold can potentially return within just a few weeks. Closed in and damp areas of the home are habitually starting places for serious mold problems to develop. In older homes, there is often no ventilation or exhaust fan for areas such as the bathroom, kitchen and laundry room. The installation of a window that opens to fresh air or an exhaust fan that vents to the outside are good ways to try to prevent any mold from becoming a serious health issue in a home.
Once a home or property owner discovers they have mold in their home, they should have a full mold inspection performed and take the resulting report seriously. Professional mold removal is needed for most cases of mold infestation and the sooner the problem is remediated, the less it should cost for repair to the home. A mold inspection should also be done if there is no overly obvious sign of mold in a building and the building has experienced water damage due to fire or natural causes.