Mold is deadly fungi, once it invades your home and starts spreading, it will not want to go away. However, there are few things that you can do to control and prevent mold growth at home.
1. Identify the source of moisture
High level of moisture within the enclosed environment is the culprit for indoor mold growth. Thus, you must first solve the moisture problem in order to combat the deadly mold. Locate and fix the common causes for moisture problem at home such as:
- Leaky plumbing and roofs
- Poor venting of household equipments like dryer and washing machine
- Improper ventilation within the house particularly in bathroom and kitchen
- Extreme usage of humidifier
Besides repairing and up keeping of the household maintenance, it is important to regulate the indoor humidity as well. Getting a quality ventilation system to help circulating the air within the house. The use of dehumidifier can also aid to control the humidity level in the house.
2. Dry is the key
Dry the damp areas and materials as soon as possible in less than 48 hours whenever flooding or overflow occurs. Make use of blow fan and dehumidifier to help drying out the areas and materials. You may consider discarding materials that cannot be completely dried well after 48 hours to prevent mold growth.
3. What to do with contaminated items
You shall treat mold-contaminated items carefully. For clothing that is infected with mold and mildew, use soap and hot water to get rid of mold stain and moldy smell. Dry the treated clothing under the hot sun to kill the remaining mold spores. However, severe mold contaminated clothing shall always be disposed of.
It is hard to remove mold from paper products, so it is recommended to discard the contaminated paper items. This applies to severely infected carpet and ceiling tiles as well. Do not try to save severely damaged porous materials. Though you can try to get professional help for minor mold damaged materials.
You can always clean molds from hard surfaces like counter tops, floors, tiles, glass, etc. Use a sturdy brush to scrub off the surface mold with detergent and warm water. Allow the areas or surfaces to dry completely after the cleaning.
Disinfecting can be very effective to keep mold at bay after each cleaning. Consider using a mild bleach solution or undiluted vinegar solution to disinfect the hard surface. Allow the solution to sit on the surface for at least 15 minutes before wiping off. Let the surface to dry completely.
These are the few things that you can do to keep your home mold free. Do a regular check for potential moisture problems. Be observant to any water stains and musty odors, which could possibly indicate the invasion of mold. Remember that mold prevention is always more effective than mold removal.